Welcome

Welcome to my Cobra Replica build blog.
Please contact me if you would like to know more detail as i progress."CR3514@live.com.au"
Regards
Dave

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Tail Shaft Part 1.

In a previous post, I detailed the changes to the diff tail shaft flange on the Holden VE Commodore diff to accommodate a Ford BA style flange and tail shaft universal coupling.
I've been avoiding the day I would have to cut the spigot shaft off the front of the pinion shaft to fit the Ford universal joint coupling.
What's more, there was a lot of effort in finding the Ford part as it is out of production, usually only available from wreckers with a diff still attached.
While researching ways to direct couple the tail shaft to the gearbox, a Tremec TR6060 with the Tri-Flange mount, I found Sonnax in the US make a part sold through The Drive Shaft Shop. Sonnax part number TL35-ALFY-01 to fit the Camaro and G8 models also fitted with TR6060 gearboxes.
After email correspondence to confirm the fit, I purchased one.


Sonnax part number TL35-ALFY-01
fitted to TR6060 gearbox.
After confirming this part, I broadcasted the find to other CR builders I'm in contact with.
One of my friends also bought one and during his fit up discovered that it was also a perfect fit for the original VE Diff flange, which if didn't interfere with the handbrake cable bracket on the chassis, would eliminate the need for the Ford flange conversion and the removal of the spigot shaft on the pinion.

The flange confirmed fit on the original diff Tri-Flange, but interferes with the Hand Brake Cable Bracket welded on the chassis.









Another shot showing the interference.

After measuring up the available cable space, I made a bracket narrowing the distance between the cables, and moving the bracket a few millimetres to create about 10mm clearance to the flange.


Quicker than saying
"Lets Think About This For A Moment"
I cut it off and located the new Hand Brake Bracket.











Bolted in place after confirming location.

















Now with plenty of clearance I have ordered another flange, ended up with a standard diff set up with out modifications, standardized the flanges and universal joints to 1350 type bearings.

Next step is to get a sliding tail shaft made up and balanced to fit between the 2 flanges with enough compression to be able to remove down through the chassis if needed.