Welcome

Welcome to my Cobra Replica build blog.
Please contact me if you would like to know more detail as i progress."CR3514@live.com.au"
Regards
Dave

Friday, December 13, 2013

Inlet Manifold and Throttle Bodies - Prelude

The more Cobra pics I collect, the more I love the old school look..... Twin Carbs.
But, I love the modern tech and modern materials as well so I'm going with the retro look of  dual quad throttle bodies.

This is one of my favourite Cobra pics, Ken Miles's number 98.
Particularly the shroud surrounding the air cleaner,
It seals up against the underside of the hood.




I also like the twin air cleaner look of the original Stelling & Helling filters with the chrome tops, should look good nestled between some carbon fibre and billet bits.











This is the look I'm going for, modelled in Sketch-up, it gives me some perspective on the overall dimensions and look








There are a few manifold candidates for the LS motors from the big names like Edelbrock, Holley, Wilson, etc etc, in Single and Dual Plane and also some custom manufactured versions, but the high riser singles are too tall and don't have the right look for me.
So, I've settled on the Holley Dual Plane Mid Rise Dual Quad Manifold #300-121,
This was because of the excellent flow rates detailed in several on-line magazine comparisons.



This pic I took off a You-Tube clip when I was trawling for throttle body candidates.
Its the same manifold with twin 1000cfm billet quads, also Holley part #112-577

The fuel rails come with the manifold.






The issues with this set up is that the manifold is made to suit Cathedral Port heads,
My engine is an LS3 with the Rectangular Port Heads.


The 2 options I'm looking at for this is:

option 1. Port match the manifold to suit the heads if possible, initial measurements suggest i can get very close to the same cross section so flow and pressure differences are similar, by widening the Cathedral port and adding some fill to the base of the cathedral port to match heights with the LS3 heads,but,
if there isn't enough material in the side walls of the manifold, then,
option 2 is to fit a pair of Mast 245 heads that have similar port lengths and combustion chambers but with Cathedral ports.

More on my efforts in the next post