Welcome

Welcome to my Cobra Replica build blog.
Please contact me if you would like to know more detail as i progress."CR3514@live.com.au"
Regards
Dave

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tail Shaft Part 2.

Fitted up the tailshaft; Length between the uni centres was 240mm when fitted, with 40mm retraction, so I can slide the flange off the spiggots and remove and drop the shaft out through the chassis if required.
The sliding shaft is a standard Spicer part, custom length built for me by GJ Drivelines in Keysborough, Melbourne and fitted with 1350 series universal joints between the Sonnax flanges.

The Sonnax flanges have 1/2" mounting holes, the diff flange has 12mm threaded bolt holes, so I drilled out the diff flange holes to 1/2" and then used 1/2" x 1" Unbrako shoulder bolts and lock nuts to fasten together.

The gearbox Tri-flange has 12mm holes in it, I tried to drill these out to 1/2" as well, but the flange material is so hard I  couldn't even scratch the surface, so I turned down the shoulder bolts to 12mm diameter. (double shoulder i.e. 1/2" through the Sonnax flange dropping to 12mm through the Tremec OE flange)
The shoulder bolts accurately align the holes like solid pins.